Surviving Living Abroad When Crisis Strikes

4:17 PM

Today I want to talk to you about something a bit deeper than writing essays and cleaning dorm rooms. I want to talk about the painfulness of being far away from the people you love when something bad happens and they need you, or you need them.

The last month of my life has been a bit difficult. I received some terrible news. To make a long story short: my parents are splitting up. Being the oldest of my siblings, with two younger borthers, it has been hard, for many resons. First, I am the protective kind. I want to be there for my brothers. To hug them and tell them that everything will be fine (even though I sometimes have my doubts). I know how hard I find it to talk to my friends about it, to find the words to say and make someone undestand my feelings (this is point two), and I know my brothers will find that quite a test as well. And I want to talk to them about my feelings too. I'm used to having people around me, people that I love and people that love me, my family. Third: I need someone to understand me. And even though I have great, truly great, friends here to help, it just seems impossible to find the right words. And I think that would be the case for many others going through stuff as well.

I want to tell you that if you are going through something, and you find it hard to handle, that is okay. Do not think that your problems are of less importance or just silly little issues that does not at all compare to other people's stuff. No one has the right to disqualify your struggles, or to tell you to stop whining because someone else has it worse. You are allowed to feel down. When you are ready, try to process whatever you're going through. Try to talk to someone. It doesn't have to be a friend, there are always someone available to help, but your friends will try and help you in every way they can. Don't give up just because there is something in your way, because it can get better, and it will.

And when you need that hug from a loved one back home, know that the day will come when you will get it. And that one, sought after hug will be one of the best hugs you ever received. It might even make you realize that you can do this. You can.

xx

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts